Find a Variable - Data Sources Available by Classification VariablePage Help
Find a VariableData Sources Available by Classification Variable
The Find a VariableData Sources Available by Classification Variable screen allows you to select classification variables for your table that are applicable to the data sources you have selected.
Available Classification Variables
- In the Available Classification Variables field, click on the name of the classification variable you want to select and click on Add to add the selected variable to the Selected Classification Variables field.
- In the Selected Classification Variables field, click on the name of the classification variable and click on Remove to delete it from your list of selections. Click on Remove All to clear all the variables in the Selected Classification Variables field.
- When you have finished selecting your list, click on Continue to go to the Find a VariableData Sources Available for (Selected Classification Variables) screen, where you can select the applicable data sources for your table or select to view a predefined table containing the classification variables you selected.
Notes regarding classification variables:
- Classification variables provide categorical values by which quantitative data may be aggregated (e.g., institution, discipline, race/ethnicity, degree level).
- The terms survey-specific and standardized characterize the values of the classification variables. Survey-specific classification variables have values that correspond to those values by which the data were collected by the survey and are only available for tables containing a single data source. Standardized classification variables provide data by standardized values that allow for the analysis of multiple data sources; they are available for tables containing either single or multiple data sources.
- Year is a required classification variable; all other classification variables are optional.
- You may only add one classification variable at a time.
- After you select each classification variable, only classification variables compatible with those you have already selected will remain in the list of available classification variables.